The SwallowingDifficulties.com website is designed to help patients, carers and healthcare professionals make more informed decisions when taking, administering or prescribing medicines for patients with swallowing difficulties. It is run by the University of East Anglia and the original website and drugs database was difficult to maintain, update and search.
Our brief was twofold. The website needed to be rebuilt in a way that made it easy to update. In particular the drugs database which requires regular changes needed to be maintained on an almost daily basis to keep it accurate. Secondly, the design needed to appeal to appeal to a broad spectrum audience whilst proving a platform that allowed individuals to communicate with likeminded people.
The website had to:
- Allow a junior administrator at the University to make regular updates
- Be easy to search and navigate
- Help visitors find correct drug information without necessarily knowing the correct name
- Perform well in the search engines
- Appeal to a broad audience